Sunday, August 20, 2006

I went to church...

















This is the famous S.I.B Canada Hill Church which is situated on top of Miri's Canada Hill overlooking Miri City and i was once told that sailors treated the lightened up cross during the nite as a watchtower.
Every sunday, i will come to this place to pray, to seek God's forgiveness for all the numerous sins which i had done in those 6 days every week. I will also sing praises to the Lord. Okay, i might not be that active in it but i will be there whenever possible.

















Its the biggest church in Miri for your info and apparently one of the big boss from "3 links" aka a respected company comes here to pray too. ( after a nites out at Balcony though )

















It's just beside the Miri Gospel Chapel and not being mean, the Miri Gospel Chapel has not changed since i was 4 years old. The building is still as rigid as before. Pardon the *cough* explanation. I had always wanted to check out on the Chapel but then, my parents are life-long members of S.I.B so it would sorta like a life-long Man U fan's child joining Leeds United.

















Anyways, i parked my vehicle at the back so that the pastors/ushers/deacons/brothers & sisters in Christ would not go :" WHAT ON EARTH IS A HEAVILY TINTED CAR DOING IN OUR PREMISES??!??!?? " , so i won't send out the wrong message to the peaceful earthlings there. Brother, that's what i call jaga imej you know?

* Note: Must low profile, must low profile

















Looking down from above, i could slightly notice the glass-walled building. It is the still-vacant Chai Yu Lan building. My initial thought was the KLCC building. Blame it on those haze ok?

















That's Miri Town's roundabout. It's not as big as the one we have around the Airport or Pujut area and i always hate driving around it as i do tend to get dizzy after circling it for some time on a bumpy road. Talking about roundabouts, my friend once told me that if you are to circle any roundabout for 3 times, some negative entity would gladly follow you back to your home and haunt you. I don't know whether it's a fact or just an impressive bullsh*t .

















One could also noticed the first building in Miri, The Wisma Pelita. Those were the days when i was in form 1 - 3, which i used to hang around this building dress up in all hip-hop style impressing the folks there with my fake angmo accent. I remember being stucked inside this elevator once with my classmate and he went berserk thinking some spiritual forces were playing with the elevator. The lights went out and we couldn't go out, i stayed calm yet this friend of mine (which i refuse to name) banged on the lift and cried (I shit you not), " Help me mummyyyy....sob...hep me... " sorry, Bong Chek Voon, i couldn't resist.

















Ahh.... the place where i learn how to kick my first balls... i meant footballs. Padang MMC serves as a ground for all football enthusiasts to horn their football skills every evening. I started out earlier than most chinese guys, around transition. I had fond memories of it which i'll share in a later post.

















Let me bring you on a short tour of the church. S.I.B Canada Hill has so many seats available that if you were to compare it with the ones in Pustaka Miri, S.I.B Canada Hill will be the outright winner hands down. The speakers were hung from above making sure everyone inside will be able to listen to the sermon clearly. The yellow strings which were tied along the chairs serves as a barricade for those who ALWAYS choose to sit at the back. S.I.B Canada Hill encourages everyone ( especially the visitors ) to sit in the front so that we all feel like a big close family. I didn't really like the idea as more people gathering around a small enclosure does give the asthma-prone a hard time.

















This picture was taken from above while the brothers & sisters were praising the Lord. A normal worship session would take around prolly 20 mins, but at S.I.B Canada Hill, 30 mins is the minimum we can go. I'll say, they - love - to - sing .

















Fans being the temporary substitute for air-conds. Somehow, it does not make any difference at all. It's still all heaty.

















Nothing to write much about, anyone who decides to have a birds eye view of the pastor and the folks there can easily walk up the stairs and look down from the window pane. ( Leaning against the window is strictly prohibited , not because we care for your life, it's that we just had the 100% tinted on and we do not want to have it all tampered )

















The 2nd floor looks like this. It's where most teenagers do their biblical work and also some would even had time to engross themselves with their newly-bought handphone. I noticed a young boy behind me staring at my digital cam in a suspicious manner. I had been reading stuff about robbery cases as of late and this for sure could be a potential one. I got up hastily, ran down the hall as fast as i could and sat with my pals instead fearing the little kid my rob me off my precious.

















Inside the hall, visitors are greeted by a huge bible hanging against the wall. The sheer size of it will instill fear into the ones who have fear of reading books surely. It certainly did made me dizzy for quite a while.

















There's always a moment, that one of the leaders would go up to the pulpit introducing the new visitors and i always enjoy every moment of it. The visitors would be taken aback when their names were mentioned and the facial expression which they display were usually if not mostly hillarious. Some would rose slowly.... looking to the side and give a slight nod. Some would just sit down looking around clueless or just plain shy.

















One of the bouncer usher guarding welcoming the doorway visitors. This usher happens to be my dad. He had been in this ushering ministry for sometime and its time to let the younger ones serve the Lord.

















An usher's job consist of handling out paraphernalias - bulletins, welcoming guests, assist in prayer, etc. Who wants this job?

















This is Aaron Bong's brother. He was the one who told me Tiesto will be in KL next march. I hope he ain't lying. Anyway, i think he has some feeling towards one of the girls in my church. Her name is Charlene Wong.

















Sepp
looking all cool and clueless. He is my football mate as well. This 2 peeps were telling me of something which they had been taking attention of lately;

















It's about this plus-sized lady in black attire sitting at the very end of the hall, every sunday, preying on the delicious delicacies on offer after the service. She was that mysterious that none of the members actually recognised her assistance except for the 2 busybodies.

















According to my mates, she will be the only person sitting at the back and once the pastor ends the service with a prayer, she will be the first person to stand up, and grab all she could with both hands and swallow everything down as fast as she possibly could before the members all jostled towards the dining table. No wonder, my popiah finish so fast every sunday ler...

















1st step: Grab the biggest popiah


Guilty of coveting food! Guilty of not resisting temptation!

















2nd step: Ease the popiah into your mouth without hesitation


Guilty of eating without consent!!!!

















3rd step: Wipe your hands by shaking hands with the church members.


Guilty of being cunning!!!!!!!!!!




Note: Next time, i bring boiled eggs, see how fast she could peel off the egg shell eh?

3 comments:

adolkuek said...

You are mean... Very mean...

adolkuek said...

What if one day the lady read your blog? Wuhzerr.... Deng Deng

adamkuek said...

Read? Probably, she will sit in front the next time round.